Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Speak Now

Way back last year in May on my way to work one morning, I was listening to various morning shows on the radio like I always do. This particular morning I stopped on my favorite country music radio station just in time to hear them say keep texting Taylor to ###### to win tickets to her concert. The 5000th texter won. Since I was at a red light I decided to text in. Then I got the bug and at every red light I stopped at on the way to work I texted in as many times as I could. They still hadn't announced the winner by the time I got to work, so I figured I had lost. Imagine my surprise when after my first therapy group I got a call from an unknown number. Since I was on a break I decided to answer and to my surprise it was the radio station!!! They asked me if I had been texting them this morning and I told them "yeah" then they asked why.  I was a little thrown so I quietly told them to win Taylor Swift tickets and to my surprise they responded congratulations you were our 5000th texter!  I was so excited. They took my information, and told me not to expect the tickets for a while since the concert wasn't until November. The great thing about this is that tickets didn't go on sale until the very next day, and since I had to work I was hoping Paul would be able to take the lap top to school and buy them during class. I was disappointed to find out that he would be in small group at the time they went on sale and would have to actually pay attention and participate. I mean come on med school cut me a break.  He saw my disappointment though and told me he would try to buy them without his faciliator noticing. He was so happy and relieved when I called to tell him I had won them on the radio, and he didn't have to worry about buying them. Talk about good timing.

The concert was this past Saturday, and it was probably one of the best concerts I have ever been to (sorry Brad Paisley; he's the only other artist I have seen in concert).  The tickets I won were fairly close to the stage. The concert was held at Minute Maid stadium (where the Astros play) and our seats were 4 rows behind the visitors dugout. The stage was in centerfield, but she came out to a miniature stage/tree thing that was just behind home plate during the concert and played 4-5 songs so we were very close to that. As another bonus Taylor's special guest was Nelly! He performed 'Just a Dream' with her (one of Paul and I's favorite songs). The only think that made the night a little bit of a bummer is that I left my memory card to my camera at home, so I didn't get very many great photos.

waiting for the concert to start

how close we were to the stage

before the concert started I told Paul that Taylor Swift was going to come and sing a song at that tree.  He informed me that I was crazy and that it was probably just the sound booth prettied up. He was wrong.

Mean.  I was able to take 4 photos with my camera's internal memory.



Me and Taylor

Taylor and Nelly

towards the end Taylor floated over the audience in a balcony for Love Story.
I am now definitely a believer in radio contests. I couldn't have picked a better concert to win tickets to. It was a good ending to my week too since it had been a pretty rough week. If you ever get a chance to go to one of her concerts, and you enjoy her music, I would say it is definitely worth the cost of a ticket.

1 comment:

jordanandrachel said...

i've always wanted to win one! congrats=) that looks like a ton of fun!!! and kudos to paul for going with you!! =) lol