Sunday, February 12, 2012

Feliz Natal

This year was our year to spend Christmas with Paul's side of the family in Tyler, TX. It was great timing too, because his parents had just bought a new house and moved in literally a few weeks before Christmas. I know his mom was excited to have the whole family home for the first Christmas in their new house. I think it was a little weird for Paul though since he wasn't going "home" for Christmas. The new house is beautiful though, and Paul's mom did a great job getting it all ready for Christmas before everyone got there.

We arrived the Thursday evening before Christmas Day that Sunday. It's nice that Paul and I both get 2 weeks off at Christmas time right now (well actually Paul got 3 weeks off this year). We are taking advantage of his time off while we have it, because I have a feeling there will soon come a time where he will be working Christmas Day or at least be on call.

Anyway, we were able to talk his family into opening our gifts to them that Thursday night just to kick off the Christmas festivities, and because we wanted his mom to be able to display her gift for a few days.

We got Jacob some Cowboy's gear and some golf balls

The girls got some glove, nail kits, and fancy headbands.

Anne modeling her head band and nail polish

Bethany modeling her new eye glasses case and necklace we got her.

Paul's parents with their gifts.
Paul's mom with her scentsy and Feliz Natal (Merry Christmas in Portuguese) decoration I made her.
Paul's family always does a big dinner on Christmas Eve. His mom ordered a turkey and some brisket. Then we all pitched in to make the sides. Jacob and Jessica helped me make some pao de quiejo (Brasilian cheese bread). I made my Grandma Sally's dressing, and my mom's orange salad. Bethany helped me with the mashed potatoes, and we also had green bean casserole.  It was quite the spread and it was fun to be able to make it all together. The night before I made a hot fudge cheesecake for dessert, and can safely say that I have carried on my tradition of trying to burn down the McGaha's houses by starting fires in the oven. A few years ago right after Paul and I were married I made some pork chops and potatoes in the McGaha's old house and caught a pot holder on fire in the oven (I am too short for the double ovens they have had in both houses). Needless to say I was so embarrassed. So this time when Paul's dad noticed smoke coming from the oven while my cheesecake was cooking, all I could think is not again, seriously!?!  The best I can figure out is that the spring form pan was not put together well enough and butter was dripping in the bottom of the oven smoking. There was no fire, but thanks to the double oven we were able to save the cheesecake and stop the smoking.

Making Christmas Eve dinner

Jessica, Megan, Bethany and I making Christmas Eve dinner with Paul pretending like he helped.

This is actually what Paul was doing. Watching his Cowboys lose.
The spread
Christmas Eve dinner.
After dinner we opened the traditional Christmas Eve presents. We all got new pajamas, and then the board game Quelf and the movie Dolphin tale. We all stayed up really late and got up early the next morning to open presents. Everyone got some pretty good stuff. After presents were opened we all got ready for church and enjoyed a great Christmas service. Paul's dad got a fire pit for their new patio for Christmas so that evening we roasted s'mores and played lots of games.
Justin Beiber!!

Opening presents

My music man checking out his new guitar pedal thing.

Paul's mom opening presents

Paul's dad opening presents

Dasher stealing presents

Paul helping pass out presents

Jessica, Anne, and Megan opening presents

Paul, me and Bethany opening presents

Jacob and Jessica opening presents

All dressed up for Christmas service that morning.
Cranium fun

Megan, Paul and Jacob

When you have a large family you get created with board game rules and sometimes combine two game boards.

Playing Ticket to Ride

Lots of ping pong was played

Jessica sculpting in Cranium

Paul and I making s'mores

Playing Quelf


Yum, Jessica

Looks good, Anne

Delicious, Megan


Our mini family portrait with the fire pit
group shot.
 We  had a great time hanging out, playing games, shopping, and of course fruit ninjaing (sorry no pictures) with the McGaha's this Christmas break. Looking forward to doing it all again in a few years!

Feliz Natal everyone!!

(sorry the pictures are in random order. I had difficulty uploading pictures for some reason :/)


No comments: