I love holidays, and the 4th of July ranks right up there with my favorite. One of my little brothers even said that the 4th of July is bigger than Christmas in our family. I was bummed that this year it didn't work out for Paul and I to go back to Oklahoma for the fourth of July with his school schedule. Thankfully though Beth's family had invited us to spend the fourth with them, and since they are a pseudo family for me I didn't feel too homesick.
Due to the burn ban there were no fireworks this year, which I have to admit made me a little sad, but we were so busy doing crafts, playing games, making homemade icecream and visiting that I didn't even really notice.
When we first arrived, Carma (Beth's mom) informed me that we were behind on our 4th of July craft, since Beth and Laura started theirs last night. I love craftng and was delighted that we were making a craft to take home. We made these adorable wooden flags.
![]() |
| Happy 4th of July flags. Beth's is on the right and mine is the one on the left. |
Next we played some games. I love games and I am always up for learning a new game. Paul's family plays Canasta a lot and they first taught me how to play; however, they had always said it was Brazilian Canasta. I didn't think that it was too different from traditional Canasta until Beth's Dad taught us to play the traditional way. Man is it one complicated game. I think it took me 3-4 hands to learn all the rules, because they just kept coming. Just when I thought I had a handle on the rules, Beth's dad woulld change them on me or add a new one. Once I learned the game though it was tons of fun. We played two games and Beth and I were partners for both games. We ended up winning the first game, which was amazing, but Paul was not happy. He hates losing especially to me. The second game was very exciting. Beth and I started off with a bang and were way ahead of the other two teams (Kent (Beth's dad) and Paul and Laura (Beth's sister) and Connie (a family friend)). It came down to what we thought would be the last hand and Beth and I would surely win or possibly Laura and Connie. Paul and Kent kept saying that a 'surge' was coming and they would take the lead though. Much to everyone's surprise this was true. They managed to score nearly 2000 points in one hand and keep the rest of us from gaining very many points. Now the game came down to who could win the most points and sure enough Paul and Kent won the game and Beth and I ended up losing. I was not too happy, but the game was really fun. We had a great time like always when we hang out with the Altendorfs.
![]() |
| Kent teaching us to play Canasta |
![]() |
| Paul and Nathan making homemade icecream |
![]() |
| When the ice cream is almost finished someone has to sit on the top. I got that lucky job. |
![]() |
| Paul and Kent after their 'surge' wins the game. |
We are very grateful that we live near the Altendorf's and that they let us crash their family events and that I have a sewing partner.
No comments:
Post a Comment