Sunday, July 3, 2011

VBS!!!

One of the perks of switching from being a medical setting SLP to a school setting SLP was to have summers free to pursue other endeavors. I love working with children and was very excited to serve at our church's VBS this summer. I don't have any pictures to share, but wanted to write a little about how much fun I had.

I decided to put my talents to good use and continue my work with special needs children by volunteering to work with the special needs population at VBS. The theme this year was beach/surfing. I was delighted to spend a day prior to VBS decorating the wing. I love all things crafty and it really helped get me into the spirit of VBS. Seeing how the kids just loved it all also gave me a great sense of accomplishment. One of the great things about working in the special needs department was that the kids were not restricted by age. We had kids from 6 years to 16+ years attend and they all had a great time. It was so refreshing to spend some time with this population as a non professional; although I must say it is hard to take the speech path out of me ;).

I also enjoyed everyone I worked with and made a few new friends. Our church did an awesome job and since it is a faily large church the production of the whole event was amazing. From the skit to snacks to crafts it was a great time and I recommend that anyone who has the opportunity think about serving through VBS. You will be greatly rewarded.

I am excited to continue my service to this population throughout the year as Paul and I both volunteer on Sunday mornings during the 11:00 service twice a month. I am so grateful that Paul continues to make time to serve with me. I am truly amazed at how he distrubutes his time so neither God, me nor his studies get neglected.

No comments: